On September 23 I will be 33. I woke up thinking “in 7 years I will be 40!”
For those of you who are older than 40 please excuse my angst. It doesn’t mean that you are old it just means that I will be old 😉
So in honour of growing older every month but especially this month, I thought I would make a list of 33 lessons/tips/thankfulness/warnings/quotes..
This post was started a year ago. I am going through all of my draft posts as I am try to practice the wisdom of finish what you start…
Well, this list wasn’t even started! Lol
34 items is a bit exhaustive for me and you so let’s stick with 10 thanks.
I should give partial credit to Ann Voskamp’s book “One Thousand Gifts” for nudging me in the direction of a list.
As well as an old favourite hymn that says,
”Count your blessings, name them one by one, count your many blessings see what God has done!”
Thankfulness is not a platitude for a dollar store plaque. It is a powerful weapon that destroys entitlement, greed and jealousy. It protects my heart and mind from disintegrating into self pity when hard times come. It transforms and atmosphere from gloomy darkness into the light of joy. Some of the items may seem obvious but even something as simple as breathing without pain becomes a miracle to someone with chronic illness in their lungs. So here we go.
- The noise of the skytrain from my bedroom. Proximity to traffic jam free travel.
- Being able to move my arms and legs.
- Married to a man who wasn’t born in Canada – inside access to a fascinating culture
- Watching rain drops with a baby girl in my arms.
- The fragrance of a freshly cooked dinner on a budget.
- A government that pays my husband to stay home from work to help me raise our baby.
- Being able to pour water down a drain.
- Cutting paper into unique shapes
- Parents and siblings living and loving
- I am not just an evolved bacteria but Imago Dei.